Do you pay attention to midterm elections? Well, you should this year! This year’s races should be really fascinating to watch because there are a record number of women registered to run for a seat in the House of Representatives.
Let’s take a look at some other numbers surrounding women running for public office:
526 women running for public office in 2018
- 395 women running for a seat in the House of Representatives in 2018
- 50 women running for Senate seats in 2018
- 79 women up for governors’ seats
Here’s what not-so-distant past trends looked like:
- 20 women sworn in as senators in 2013 (the largest class of women Senators ever!)
- 298 women ran for public office in 2012 (Side note: this was the previous record.)
- 34 women ran for governors’ seats in 1994
Let’s hope this year brings a record-breaking number of women elected!!