April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month, and I couldn’t let the month pass without sharing some important statistics around sexual assault. They’re not the most fun stats, but they’re very important.
- 1 in 5 women will be raped within their lifetime.
- 51%+ of female rape victims were raped by an intimate partner.
- 1 in 71 men will be raped within their lifetime.
- 52%+ of male rape victims were raped by an acquaintance.
- An estimated 17.7M women have been raped since 1998.
- 21% of trans college students have been sexually assaulted.
- American Indians are twice as likely to experience sexual assault than other races.
- 49%+ of multiracial women will experience sexual assault in their lifetime.
- Women and men with intellectual disabilities are seven times more likely to be the victims of sexual assaults than women and men without intellectual disabilities.
- 80.6K inmates in jails and prisons experience sexual violence.